San Mateo County LGBTQ Resources
Updated resource information and feedback is welcomed. Please contact the commission at email@example.com
Disclaimer: We are providing this resource list as information only. Incusion of an organization or program in this list does not imply endorsement, nor are we liable for errors of omission in publishing this list.
- Anti-Violence Organizations
- Business Associations
- Community Organizations, Social Clubs, & Family Support Networks
- Behavioral Health, Mental Health, & Recovery Services
- Culture: Ethnicity/Nationality/Race
- Housing Services
- Legal Services & Associations
- Medical Services/Clinics
- Political Organizations/Policy/Government
- Youth/Transitional Age Youth
CORA (Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse):
CORA is a multicultural agency committed to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence/abuse, regardless of age, ethnicity/race, financial status, language, sexual orientation, immigration status, class, religion, gender, mental or physical ability; providing free and confidential emergency, intervention and prevention services, including emergency shelter and transitional housing for victims/survivors . Services offered in Spanish and English.
- Website: https://www.corasupport.org/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 2211 Palm Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403
- Phone Number: Business Line: 650-652-0800 | 24 Hour Hotline: 800.300.1080
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
RTS (Rape Trauma Services):
RTS provides comprehensive sexual assault services for survivors and their loved ones while working in the community to prevent sexual assault, end cycles of violence, and educate residents and providers about sexual violence and other kinds of abuse.
- Website: http://rapetraumaservices.org/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 1860 El Camino Real, Suite 406, Burlingame, CA 94010
- Phone Number: Business Line – (650) 652-0598, 24-Hour Crisis Line – (650) 692-RAPE (7273)
- Email Address: email@example.com
The Peninsula Equality Network advocates for LGBT and LGBT-friendly businesses in the San Francisco Peninsula. It promotes building strong businesses and personal relationships through bi-weekly Leads Exchange Groups, monthly PEN mixers, and regular social events.
- Website: https://peninsulaequalitynetwork.com/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 20 Park Road, Suite K, Burlingame, CA 94010
- Phone Number: 650.759.8382
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
A free resource guide, website, and app of LGBTQ friendly businesses in the bay area.
Baylands Frontrunners, is a running and walking club for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and friends. Membership is open to all.
- Website: www.baylands.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: PO Box 51456, Palo Alto, CA 94303
- Phone Number: Voicemail– (650) 681-9002
- Email Address: email@example.com
Coastside Rainbow Women
Coastside Rainbow Women is a social group for lesbians, bi-sexual women, and their supporters who reside in the San Mateo County coastal communities.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/CoastsideRainbowWomen
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
PFLAG San Jose/Peninsula Chapter
Formerly known as Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays, is the United States' largest organization for parents, families, friends, and straight allies united with people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning.
- Website: www.pflagsanjose.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: PFLAG, P.O. Box 2718, Sunnyvale, CA 94087
- Phone Number: Helpline- (408) 270-8182
- Email Address: email@example.com
Oakland LGBTQ Community Center
The Oakland LGBTQ Community Center is dedicated to enhancing and sustaining the well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) individuals, our families and allies, by providing educational, social, and health related activities, programs and services.
San Mateo County Pride Center
Born of the struggles and triumphs of the LGBTQ+ community over the years, the San Mateo County Pride Center is the first ever LGBTQ+ center in San Mateo County. Standing for equity, inclusion, dignity, self-determination, and justice, the Pride Center provides a broad range of services to individuals and families of all ages, with specialized programming for youth and older adults. The Pride Center is unique in that it combines direct mental health services with social and educational programming, both at the Pride Center and in the community at large. Whether to seek behavioral health services or to gather in solidarity with others to share stories, build relationships, learn, grow, create, and heal together, LGBTQ+ individuals and communities throughout the Peninsula finally have a space to call their own!
- Website: http://sanmateopride.org/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 1021 S. El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA 94402
- Phone Number: (650) 591-0133
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The PRIDE Initiative is a program of San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services (BHRS) Office of Diversity and Equity committed to fostering a welcoming environment for the LGBTQQI communities living and working in San Mateo County through an interdisciplinary and inclusive approach. Pride Initiative is made up of individuals who are concerned about the well-being of the LGBTQQI communities in San Mateo County.
- Website: https://www.smchealth.org/bhrs/ode/pride
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 225 West 37th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403
- Phone Number: Katy Davis (650) 372-3214 or Lauren Szyper (415) 926-3121
- Email Address: For more information regarding the PRIDE Initiative and ways to get involved please contact Katy Davis, PhD, LCSW at email@example.com or Lauren Szyper, MS at firstname.lastname@example.org
GELAAM (Gente Latino de Ambiente)
GELAAM es una organizacion comunitaria latina dedicada al bienestar, la educacion, el desarollo y al empoderamiento de la comunidad latina lésbica, gay, bisexual, transgénero y en cuestionamiento (LGBTQ), así como al de sus familiares y amigos en el Condado de San Mateo.
GELAAM is a community-based Latino/a organization dedicated to the well-being, education,development and empowerment of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning(LGBTQ) Latinos, their families and friends in San Mateo County.
- Website: www.gelaam.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 1419 Burlingame Ave, Suite N, Burlingame, CA 94010
- Phone Number: (650) 762-5428
- Email Address: email@example.com
Project Sentinel is a non-profit organization that assists individuals with housing problems such as discrimination (including LGBTQ housing discrimination), mortgage foreclosure & delinquency, rental issues including repairs, deposits, privacy, dispute resolution, home buyer education, post purchase education and reverse mortgages.
- Website: www.housing.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: Redwood City Office- 1615 Hudson St, Suite A, Redwood City, CA 94061
- Phone Number: Phone (650) 321-6291
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bay Area Legal Aid:
Bay Legal provides free civil legal assistance to low-income individuals living in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara Counties. Services include legal advice, representation, and/or effective referrals in the following areas:
Restraining orders, family law and immigration assistance for victims of intimate partner violence, family violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking, Protection from housing discrimination based on sexual orientation, family status, age, race, national origin, and other illegal bases and preservation of affordable housing, including eviction defense, Access to health care coverage and services, including medical billing problems and help with denials of coverage for medically necessary and culturally appropriate care for LGBTQ individuals
Bay Legal's staff provides services in a wide array of languages and is trained and culturally competent.
- Website: www.baylegal.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 1048 El Camino Real, Suite A, Redwood City, CA 94063
- Phone Number: (650) 358-0745, Legal Advice Line: (650) 472-2666.
Planned Parenthood Mar Monte
provides a range of reproductive and general health services including birth control, pregnancy testing and options counseling, STD testing and treatment, HIV testing, breast and cervical cancer screening, abortion, prenatal care, pediatrics, adult cisgender, and transgender primary health care.
- Website: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-mar-monte
- Mailing and/or Business Address:
- Redwood City Location- 2907 El Camino Real, Redwood City, CA 94061
- San Mateo Location- 29 Baywood Ave, San Mateo, CA 94402
- Phone Numbers:
- Redwood City- 650.503.7810
- San Mateo- 650.235.7940
LGBTQ Perinatal Wellness Associates
We are a group of exceptionally skillful, highly-qualified, LGBTQ perinatal wellness practitioners. We are passionately dedicated to supporting your growing family's needs from preconception preparation through childbirth to early parenthood & beyond.
Bay Area Municipal Elections Committee (BAYMEC)
The Bay Area Municipal Elections Committee (BAYMEC) is a four-county lesbian, gay bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) political action group, advocating for the civil rights of LGBT people since 1984. BAYMEC is the only political action committee (PAC) dedicated to this purpose in the central coast counties of San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey.
- Website: http://www.baymec.org
Peninsula Stonewall Democrats
Peninsula Stonewall Democrats focuses its efforts on the San Francisco Peninsula to advance the goals of the Democratic Party and the LGBT Community through public policy and political analysis, education, outreach, fund-raising, recruitment and coordination with other Democratic clubs, and other activities to benefit the Party and the Community.
- Website: http://www.penstonedem.com
- Mailing and/or Business Address: P.O. BOX 2100, Redwood City, CA 94064
- Email: email@example.com
San Mateo County LGBTQ Commission
The LGBTQ Commission is an advisory body to the Board of Supervisors whose mission is to cultivate San Mateo County as a welcoming and safe environment where it’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community members can thrive. The Commission meets on the first Tuesday of each month, 6:30 – 8:30 PM at 455 County Center in Redwood City (room 402). Meetings are open to the public.
- Website: https://lgbtq.smcgov.org/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 455 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063
- Phone Number: 650-363-4872
- Email: LGBTQinfo@smcgov.org
Peninsula Metropolitan Community Church
Peninsula MCC (originally known as That New Church) is a friendly and diverse congregation made up primarily of LGBT and queer people.
- Website: http://www.peninsulamcc.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 1150 W. Hillsdale, San Mateo, CA
- Phone Number: 650-515-0900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congregational Church of San Mateo
- Website: http://www.ccsm-ucc.org/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 225 Tilton Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94401
- Phone Number: (650) 343-3694
- Email: email@example.com
Peninsula Family Service, Senior Peer Counseling LGBTQ Program
To help our region’s older adults stay active and engaged, Peninsula Family Service offers an innovative peer-to-peer senior peer counseling program in English, Mandarin, Tagalog, and Spanish, as well as individualized services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender participants.
- Website: www.peninsulafamilyservice.org
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 24 Second Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94401
- Phone Number: 650-403-4300
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adolescent Counseling Services, Outlet- San Mateo
Outlet empowers Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning (LGBTQQ+) youth and builds safe and accepting communities through support, education, and advocacy. Outlet envisions a world that embraces, empowers, and celebrates LGBTQQ+ youth.
- Website: www.acs-teens.org/what-we-do/outlet/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 101 S. B Street, San Mateo CA, 94401
- Phone Numbers:
- Anthony Ross, Outlet Director–650-424-0852 x107 (Voicemail Only) and 650-965-2020 x122
- Dafne Luna, Outlet Program Coordinator- 650.424.0852 x109 (Voicemail Only) and 650.965.2020 x122
- Emails: Anthony Ross- email@example.com; Dafne Luna- firstname.lastname@example.org
Adolescent Counseling Services, De Ambiente II- San Mateo
De Ambiente is a community space for bilingual Spanish-speaking LGBTQQ youth, ages 10-25 years old. De Ambiente is the only Spanish speaking support group for LGBT Latino youth in the San Francisco Bay Area. De Ambiente provides an opportunity for building community, health education, leadership development, and social events.
- Website: www.acs-teens.org/what-we-do/outlet/
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 101 S. B Street, San Mateo CA, 94401
- Phone Numbers:
- Anthony Ross, Outlet Director- 650-424-0852 x107 (Voicemail Only) and 650-965-2020 x122
- Rodrigo Garcia-Reyes, Spanish Language and Education Coordinator- 650.424.0852 x109 (Voicemail Only) and 650.965.2020 x122
- Anthony Ross- email@example.com
- Rodrigo Garcia-Reyes- firstname.lastname@example.org
Bay Area Youth Summit
Bay Area Youth Summit (BAYS) aims to bridge disenfranchised and underrepresented youth sub-communities that identify as LGBTQ. BAYS seeks to foster a safe social forum to promote constructive conversations that serve to generate greater awareness and acceptance among youth of all orientations and identities.
- Website: www.bayareayouthsummit.org/
GSA Network (Gay-Straight Alliance Network)
A national youth leadership organization that connects school-based Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) to each other and community resources through peer support, leadership development, and training. There are 29 schools in San Mateo County with GSA’s.
- Website: www.gsanetwork.org
[See More in Alameda County Resources]
Edgewood Center for Children and Families Drop In Center in San Bruno
The Drop-in Center in San Mateo County is a voluntary, peer-driven program that provides interpersonal, educational, vocational, wellness, and recreational opportunities for San Mateo County young adults between the ages of 18-25 to expand the skills necessary for a successful transition into adulthood. A LGBTQ youth group meets weekly.
- Website: www.edgewood.org/whatwedo/community/san-bruno-drop-in-center.html
- Mailing and/or Business Address: 931 San Bruno Avenue, Ste. #1 San Bruno, CA 94066 (Front Entrance at Ste. #2)
- Phone Number: 650-832-6797
Outlet- San Mateo, CA
[See: Adolescent Counseling Services, Outlet- San Mateo]
QT Café- Palo Alto (LGBTQ Youth Space):
A safe and open drop-in space for LGBTQQ+ & ally folks between the ages of 13-25. Get connected to community resources, free wi-fi, volunteer opportunities, and other folks in the community. Or, just come hang out and do homework! Also available: gender neutral bathrooms, board games, arts and crafts, safer sex supplies, video games, and snacks. Although located in Santa Clara County, it’s Palo Alto programming is available to San Mateo County youth.
- Website: http://youthspace.org/events/gay-game-gathering-in-palo-alto-2015-01-02/
- Phone Number: Contact Helen at 408-841-4105
- Email: Contact Helen at email@example.com